Minutes of Meeting Tuesday 3rd May 2022(Draft)

Minutes of Meeting held on Thursday 3rd May 2022 by Zoom starting at 8.00pm.

Present: Steve Byford(Chair), Duncan Fraser(Treasurer), Mary Graham,  John Stewart(Vice-Chair), John Graham(Secretary), Cllr Emma Knox

Apologies: Graeme MacKay, Mark Hedderwick,Cllr. David Fraser


Meeting Commenced at 20.00hrs (8.00pm)

Minutes of Previous Meeting Wednesday 7th April 2022 – Proposed SB, Seconded DF. Passed.

Police Scotland: Written report had been circulated in advance.

Matters Arising:

  • Ditches and Drains – JG had met Alan Johnstone by chance and was able to discuss the bitumen shortage which had now been resolved with supplies from Venezuela. SB will try the potholes hotline to expedite the more urgent areas. Otherwise the situation is ongoing.
  • SSE Community Resilience Funding – KCH had been informed but no response as of yet. JG to contact them for an update.
  • Kilmorack Cemetery – A complaint had been received regarding the condition of the Cemetery and the Secretary had visited. Recent grass growth had rather overtaken the graves and Hugh Gardner (Project Manager, Bereavements) has been made aware. He is sending a team to address the problem.

Chairman’s Business:

  • Quarry – The Chairman had received a noise complaint from a resident outwith Kilmorack CC area but had addressed the issue by contacting the EHOs and Gregor McCormick. It is likely the noise issue has been aggravated by the crusher being in the quarry and Breedon has apologised for failing to advise us of that fact. It is felt that the clearance of trees to the River area will continue to exacerbate the issue. There is a CLG meeting with Breedons on the 19th May to which John Stewart and Duncan Fraser will attend.
  • Battery storage application. Local residents had been asking what is happening with that and SB asked Cllr Emma Knox if she was aware of any movement. No one seems to have heard any news from that area.  

Vice Chairman:

  • JS’s new neighbour had complained about the speed of some cars coming down the Altyre. JS commented that, especially in the evening, it has become a bit of a race track. She has a young daughter and is concerned for her welfare. SB suggested the option of a Radar Speed sign which we had proposed to SSE for the main road. SSE have yet to respond and may need chasing. Will be brought up at the next Beauly CLG meeting.

Secretary’s Business and Correspondence:

  • The Secretary reported on three options for meetings. KCH may be available for alternative week Monday meetings, Beauly Shinty Club had offered their committee room which seats ten foc. (Thursday is training night so there may be some external noise), The Tarradale Room at the Muir of Ord Hub is available at £12 per hour. Tea and coffee and audio visual equipment is available. It was felt the next meeting will be Zoom which leaves us the summer to make a decision.
  • The provisional dates for the rest of this years meeting had been circulated and after some modification were presented to the Council. Subject to a decision on meeting venues these may change.


  • DF confirmed the balance stood at £3917.71.

Planning Applications:

  • House at land 100m NE of Tor View House, Torgormack, Beauly  application has been granted.


  • The Osprey/Peregrine situation has taken a turn for the worse with some eighteen cars there over the Bank Holiday Sunday. As the situation had been under some control until then it was somewhat frustrating. Sir JLK has written to NatureScot, the Police and other bodies remonstrating that something has to be done less we lose these Red List birds. SB brought the subject of trail cameras and that will be explored.
  • Aigas/Kilmorack Dam upgrades – Received today new places of interest for siting the substations. Neither sites featured on the original options. The preferred option seems to be on SSE land below the dam. 

Meeting Closed: at 21.03hrs (9.03pm)

Next Meeting: Thursday 9th June at 8.00pm (by Zoom).


Minutes of Meeting, Thursday 7th April 2022

Minutes of Meeting held on Thursday 7th April 2022 by Zoom starting at 8.00pm.

Present: Steve Byford(Chair), Duncan Fraser(Treasurer), Mary Graham,  Graham Mackay, John Graham(Secretary), Cllr David Fraser,  Cllr Emma Knox

Apologies: John Stewart,Cllr. Helen Carmichael, Cllr Emma Knox

Guests: Iain Stewart

Meeting Commenced at 20.03hrs (8.03pm)

Minutes of Previous Meeting Wednesday 3rd March 2022 – Proposed DF, Seconded SB. Passed.

Police Scotland: No report.

Matters Arising:

  • Ditches and Drains – Meeting with John Taylor has yet to take place but the situation in Russia has meant a shortage of bitumen which will seriously impact on road repairs just when funding was available. However this should allow concentration on ditches and culverts which could be to our benefit.
  • Ukraine – Three donations/fund raising events from Aigas Community Forest, Aigas Golf Club and Ffordes Photographic have shown the Community generosity and Steve Byford has made one of houses available for refugees but had found the system cumbersome and frustrating. Cllr Margaret Davidson said both the Home Office and Scottish Government had been cumbersome and a lot of red tape needing cutting out. However as these were women and children proper checks were necessary and that was understood. Hopefully the system will improve shortly.
  • Beauly Kilmorack Trust – SB reported that he had been contacted by Beauly CC and had asked for further details. GM had been in some discussions but was still awaiting more detail. Cllr. Margaret Davidson commented that there are considerable grants available but as CCs are not corporate bodies they must establish a trust to access them. ACF and KCH are trusts and may provide an avenue to access funding. However they have defined objectives. GM to liaise with Beauly CC and further discuss options.
  • SSE £1million Resilience Fund. The Secretary reported he had suggested to KCH to revisist the option of making the hall ready for connection to a generator and made them aware that funds are available. SB commented that since the winter storms and potential climate changes we should address this issue with a mind that funding is available. A register of qualified Chainsaw operators was one suggestion. SB asked that the Council apply there thoughts to measures that would benefit the Community and the Secretary liaise with KCH.

Chairman’s Business:

  • The Chairman expressed some regret but understanding that Cllr. Margaret Davidson was retiring as a Councillor at the forthcoming May elections. He thanked her for all her support over the years and this was fully supported by the rest of the Community Councillors. MD said that she would still be around and had enjoyed her relationship with Kilmorack CC. She remarked that Energy Security had become the latest Government edict and that will impact Wester Balblair. There were grand schemes for Scotland and we will need to address these directly and make our voices heard. The Chair joined the rest of the Community Council in wishing Cllr Davidson the best for the future.

Vice Chairman: No business

Secretary’s Business and Correspondence: No business


  • DF confirmed the balance stood at £3919.71.

Planning Applications:

  • One planning application had been circulated to the Council but no issues identified.


  • Kilmorack Cemetery is looking to extend and the Chair requested that the Secretary contacted Hugh Gardener of the Cemeteries to arrange a meeting to discuss options.

Meeting Closed: at 20.57hrs (8.57pm)

Next Meeting: Tuesday 3rd May at 8.00pm (by Zoom).